Blinken says U.S. intends to take further action against Cuban authorities

Blinken says U.S. intends to take further action against Cuban authorities

The U.S. administration intends to take further action against the Cuban authorities for their alleged violations of human rights and obstruction of demonstrations. This was stated in a statement issued by Secretary of State Anthony Blinken on Sunday.

“The U.S. will continue to take measures that both support the Cuban people and help hold the Cuban regime accountable for repression and human rights violations. On November 15, Cubans will again appeal to the government to hear their aspirations for a better future. The Cuban government has already made it clear that it is not willing to listen. The regime has refused permission to hold protests, deprived those who support the opposition of jobs and threatened dissenters with imprisonment,” Blinken said. – We strongly condemn these scare tactics.”

According to Blinken, the U.S. calls on the Cuban government to respect the rights of Cubans and allow them to assemble peacefully and express their opinions without fear of repression or violence. In his view, Washington’s partners should make similar statements. “We should speak with one voice, calling on the Cuban authorities to respect those who enjoy the right to hold peaceful protests on Nov. 15 and to release all those unjustly detained,” Blinken added.

Opponents of Cuba’s leadership had previously applied to hold anti-government marches in major cities of the republic on November 15. Local authorities refused to organize the actions because they believe that the called marches are aimed at destabilizing the situation in the republic. After receiving the refusal, the applicants continued to call on citizens to take to the streets. The General Prosecutor’s Office of Cuba issued warnings to several activists calling for mass anti-government protests.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *