Musk announced an "amnesty" for previously blocked Twitter users
Elon Musk announced Thursday that next week a “general amnesty” for previously blocked accounts will be implemented on Twitter. The new Twitter owner made the decision based on the results of a poll that Musk conducted on his personal account.
72.4 percent of those polled out of more than 31.6 million users voted in a poll released by Musk on Wednesday in favor of returning those previously blocked by the social network’s moderators, as long as those users did not break laws or send spam.
“People have spoken out,” Musk, who bought Twitter last month, wrote Thursday. – Amnesty begins next week.”
Last week, Musk, the world’s richest man, reinstated some previously blocked accounts, including those of former President Donald Trump, satirical website Babylon Bee and comedian Kathy Griffin.
He tweeted in October that the company would create a content moderation board with people “with a wide variety of viewpoints.” Musk said no major decisions will be made about content or account recovery until the council convenes.
In the first few weeks of the billionaire’s tenure as Twitter’s owner, Musk fired many top executives, including former CEO Parag Agarwal. High-ranking company employees responsible for security and privacy also resigned.
These dismissals drew the attention of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, which has a mandate to protect consumers. The commission said it was “deeply concerned” about the situation at Twitter.
Musk said Thursday that Twitter users may notice small and sometimes significant improvements in the speed of the platform, which could make a big difference in countries far from the United States.